Thursday, December 8, 2011

episode 15

Contd........I sighed heavily. Still holding hands
Kami turned to me and said,
"which would ‎​‎​you prefer?"
I wasn't expecting him to ask me that question. I faced Dr Musa and asked,
"without chemo what's the situation going to look like?" Sincerely I didn't want the answer to the question but I used it to ignore my husband's question.
Dr musa replied, "the cancer cells would keep multiplying, he would keep coughing blood and he can die anytime depending on how hard the cancer cells are working." Immediately he stopped talking, my tummy started making noise. I excused myself and ran into the toilet. By the time I came out of the toilet Dr Musa and Bimbo had left, kami who was lying down when I left was now sitting up back against the wall. I was relieved. Kami called me to sit beside him. He placed his head on my breast, that had been his preferred sleeping position after we got married. He pulled my top up a bit ‎so he could touch my tommy. He said,
"Imagine we are ‎so engrossed in our problem that we forgot we are expecting a baby."
I sighed heavily.
"Yemisi can ‎​you go through with the pregnancy without me?" He asked.
I had started crying again. I replied "I can't go through with life without ‎​‎​you."
"Yemisi ‎​you can. back to my previous question which would ‎​you prefer."
"Kami seriously I don't kno, (sobbing) I don't want ‎​you to die and at the same time I don't want ‎​you to going through pains."
"Yemisi please choose one."
"Kami I can't let ‎​you suffer although I want ‎​you around, I will choose no treatment."
Kami picked his phone and called Dr Musa that we had decided, ‎so he could come.
Dr Musa came in 10minutes later. One could see it in his eyes that he was ‎so disturbed, its not been easy for him too because he was about loosing a friend.
"Musa we have decided, please make arrangement for me to start chemotherapy immediately, if I die now Yemisi would injure herself and the baby."Kami said.
"kami that's not what we decided, I said no treatment. ‎​You don't have to do this because of me."
"Honey, I want to do this. I can't leave ‎​you alone like this not when I know I can extend it a bit at least to stay with ‎​you till ‎​you give birth."
Dr Musa made all the necessary arrangements and my husband was
discharged from the hospital and we were referred to luth to start treatment.
He started going for treatment, the effects started showing. At first I was still going to work, it got to a stage I couldn't handle it anymore so I stopped. I worked day and night to make sure everywhere is clean because any infection might lead to his death even malaria because his system couldn't fight anymore. It wasn't easy at all he was sick and I was pregnant. He would vomit everywhere while cleaning I would vomit too because I couldn't stand the smell. I would follow him to the hospital for treatment and he would do the same whenever I am going for anti natal.
He started loosing his hair till he became bald, lost weight because he hardly eats, he would scream out of pain most times. I can't count the number of times I fell while running to attend to him. We told his sister, she cried and cried over the phone, she later came to lagos and spent a month with us.
One morning I woke up, kami was not beside me. I felt a sharp pain and it lasted for like a minute and left. I knew I was due but it didn't occur to me that I was in labour. I later felt like using the toilet, tried using it but nothing came out. I went into the sitting room to check my husband cos I hadn't seen him that morning. I saw him painting in the library ‎so I decided not to disturb him. Dr Musa called me to ask after kami as usual. As he was talking to me I felt that sharp pain again ‎so I told him about it. He said I had fallen into minor labour that I should try and walk round the house he would send the ambulance to the house to pick me before it becomes major. He told me not to tell kami until the ambulance comes ‎so as not to stress him.
I started walking round the house, when the sharp pain comes I would close my eyes and hold my breath. I checked the time after I had walked slowly round the house 5 times, it was exactly 45mins since I spoke with Dr Musa, the ambulance would soon be around. I went to check my husband. On entering the library I saw kami on the floor blood was coming out of his mouth and nose. He was looking lifeless. Just then I heard the sound of the ambulance I rushed out to tell them to help my husband. They carried kami into the ambulance, I went back inside to carry my baby's bag in the room. As I entered the room the sharp pain gripped me again. I sat on the bed held the bed sheet till the pain went. I stood up carried the bag and went outside. I guess the nurses in the ambulance didn't know they came for the woman not the man because when I got outside the ambulance had left. Just then the sharp pain seized me, this time around I screamed. (To be contd)

No comments:

Post a Comment