Thursday, December 8, 2011

episode 11

Contd...... He stood where he was for close to 5mins just staring at me. Then he smiled and said "Can I come in?" My smile faded and I moved aside for him to pass. He went straight to the bedroom without a backward glance. I closed the door. I stood where I was wondering if I had said the it wrong or I was too forward, maybe I wasn't the one he wanted to propose to, maybe he had a rough day at work and d last thing he needed was someone pushing herself on him, Maybe he wasn't ready for commitment and definitely not with someone that doesn't know her family. I settled for the last two, we had never discussed marriage so maybe it wasn't me. I decided to go an apologise to him. On getting to the room "kami I am very sorry ...... The room was dark walking towards the switch "why didn't you switch on the light or has the bulb........
"Don't switch it on." Kami said.
I stopped just then a flash light came on. I looked at where the light was coming from, kami was looking short or was he on his kneels.
"What are you looking for on the floor" I asked.
"I was looking for a candle to make it romantic but it seems this flash light will do" he replied.
"What are you...."
"Shhhhh I had planned that on the19th of may if I can't persuade you to come to lagos I would come over to Abuja to propose to you. Then you had issues with your parent and you followed me to Lagos. Yes u made it easy for me by following me but I know you are suffering emotionally and I wouldn't want to take advantage of that." U don't have to make a decision now I would wait if you are not ready."
"I am ready." I assured him.
"Of course I know you are or why else would you scream Yes I will marry you, when I hadn't even asked you to marry me. Seriously you are the craziest girl I have ever dated and I love you like that Yemisi will you marry me?"
He asked the golden question at last, he was still kneeling down. I sat on the bed and moved closer to him.
"Have u forgotten that I gave you my answer before the question. If I have to say it a million times my answer would remain the same Yes I will marry you."
He brought out two rings and asked me to choose the one I wanted. I was baffled I have never heard of something like that but still I went ahead and picked one. He slipped the ring in my left index finger and kissed me.
We had dinner, it was lovely I felt so at home. That night before we slept he took my left hand and kept looking at the ring. He asked me why I chose the particular one I was wearing. I told him I just liked it more than the other. He told me I made him the happiest man when I chose that ring because his father had proposed to his mother with that ring. He went on and said if I had chosen the other ring it wouldn't had change his feelings for me but he would just have preferred me taking his mum's ring. The ring was looking new and I asked how come. He said he gave to a goldsmith to make it more lovelier than it was.
We got married exactly a month after he proposed, at the registry. I didn't call my parents and he told his sister not to come. I called a friend of mine that was in Lagos and he asked his friend that was also his lawyer to come wit us. Those were the only two people that followed us to the registry.
I was so happy yet I was sad, this was not the type of wedding I wanted and the fact that my parents weren't there.
Then I became Mrs Yemisi Pearse before I was Yemisi Folajomi. Life was so sweet with kami, we did everything together. We got married june and by october I was preparing for my NYSC november batch. Luckily for me I was posted to Lagos. Time to go for camp came and my husband didn't want me to leave but he didn't have a choice. I came back home from camp to a changed husband. He had moved his things from the room we shared to the guest room. He started keeping to himself, he would lock himself in the guest room if he doesn't go to work. I tried talking to him but he wouldn't even listen to me. I begged for forgiveness even when I didn't know what I did wrong. I called his sister and told her everything and she said she would talk to him.
A month after I came back from camp, I was feeling sick so I left work(where I was serving) early and went to the hospital. I was told at hospital that I was 10weeks pregnant. I was happy,thinking the good news would change my husband back to the loving husband that he was.
When I got home that day I went straight to the kitchen to cook. I noticed the kitchen was smelling, I remembered that I threw the dirt I removed from the fish I cooked the previous night in the kitchen bin. I quickly carried the bin outside, on getting outside the bin slipped from my hand and fell on the floor all the dirt in it poured on the floor. I was so angry that I had created job for myself, I went back inside to get broom and parker. I was about sweeping the dirt when I noticed blood stained tissues, not 1 not 2 it was uncountable. How did they get into my bin. Haha did kami cut himself, I went to the major bin serving the whole house, took a stick and checked. I found more blood stained tissues. I ran inside took a knife and hammer went straight to the guest room door. I forced it open, kami was not in. There was tissue was on the table but it had no blood stain right next to it was a file. I opened the file and found DIVORCE PAPERS in it. Kami had signed his part. (To be contd)

No comments:

Post a Comment