Thursday, December 8, 2011

episode 13

Contd...The other car had hit my husband's car from the driver side. People had gathered to help, his colleagues and other people willing to help. They managed to get him out through the passenger door. He was unconscious. With help from his colleagues we were able to get him to the hospital. We got to the hospital and the nurses took over from there. It was the same hospital I had gone earlier that day, kami had taken me there before we got married. It was their company's hospital.
I was crying and feeling guilty thinking what came over me, I should have let him be. If I had just walked away this wouldn't have happened. We were told to wait at the reception. Minutes turned to hours. I thought of calling his sister but changed my mind. I knelt down and started praying. When was the last I prayed. My mind was not in the prayer I stood up went to meet the nurse at the reception and asked her to please help me check on my husband. She told me to go and seat down that the doctor would soon come out. I turned and noticed my husband's colleagues where looking at me angrily they couldn't just walk up to me and beat me or accuse me of causing their colleague's accident. I walked quietly to my seat. Just then the doctor came out, I ran to meet him, my husband's colleagues came behind me. The doctor looked at me and said,
"I believe you are Mrs pearse."
I nodded, I was surprised he knew me.
he turned to one of my husband's colleagues and said to him, "you can all go home except the wife, Mr pearse is going to be alright." The person he spoke to turned to the rest seeking for approval, one of them said, "can we see him, that way we would be satisfied he is okay.
The doctor smiled and replied, "just one person would be allowed." They chose one person to follow the doctor. After the person came back and assured the rest they left. None of them said a word to me.
The doctor asked me to follow him, we went to check kami. He was in intensive care unit. I looked at the doctor and said "are you sure he will be alright?"
"Yes, he would be alright." He replied. Then later said, " Please let's go to my office."
When we got into his office, he sat down and asked me to seat. Then he said,
"I am Dr Musa, your husband's friend and doctor. Your husband would have introduced us but I had not been town for awhile, I came back 2months ago."
I nodded wondering why he was telling me this. He continued, "you came here this morning the doctor on duty attended to you."
I was surprised before I could say anything he continued "don't be surprised whatever you do in this hospital would be filed in your husband's file. so that's how I knew you were here today and you are 10wks pregnant."
The door opened and my husband's friend who was also his lawyer(Bimbo) came in. I jumped up from my seat. Dr musa said "please seat down, I called bimbo here because there is something you need to know."
I looked at Bimbo, he gave me an assuring look so I sat down."
Dr musa continued, " I called your husband the minute I found out the reason you were here."
"Did you tell him I am pregnant?" I asked
"No I didn't I just told him you were here, and he should see me."
" And did he come?" I asked.
"No, I guess he was coming to see me when he had the accident." Guilty conscience pricked me.
"I still don't understand why you are telling me all this."
This time around bimbo answered me, "yemisi, kami loves you so much. He doesn't want anything to happen to you, we discovered after you left for camp that kami had cancer of the lungs. That's why he started behaving some how when you came back and wants a divorce he doesn't want you to watch him die."
I looked at bimbo and said did you just say die. Cancer of the lungs I repeated it 3 times is that why he has blood stained tissues. Dr musa replied, "yes he is coughing out blood."
I was shaking "can't he be treated?" I asked. Dr musa replied, "Lung cancer is a disease characterized by uncontrolled cell growth in tissues of the lung. If left untreated, this growth can spread beyond the lung in a process called metastasis into nearby tissue and, eventually, into other parts of the body. I don't how your husband got it but it was not detected early enough with or without chemotherapy your husband would still die." I fainted.(to be contd)

No comments:

Post a Comment