Thursday, December 8, 2011

episode 14

Contd..... I regained consciousness. They made sure I eat something because I hadn't eaten since morning. I went to see kami. He was still unconscious, I sat down on a chair beside his bed.
"Kami, please wake up. I am sorry and I know I am selfish. I should have noticed something was wrong with ‎​you but I was ‎so engrossed in my own problems that I didn't notice yours. Even in sickness ‎​you are still so concerned about me that ‎​you chose to be alone.
Kami ‎​you can't do this alone please let me help ‎​you, I can't live without ‎​‎​you." Tears were rolling down. "Don't shut me out of your life, I wouldn't forgive myself if I sign the the divorce papers and ‎​you die alone. I don't want to be your ex-wife, I want to be your wife, I want to stay with ‎​you through out. Please let me."I was talking to him as if he was conscious and was listenining to me just then his eye lids started moving, slowly he opened his eyes. I ran out to call Dr. Musa. The doctor asked me to wait at the reception after 20mins the doctor told me that kami wanted to see me. I went to see him, kami told me that he heard everything I said but he just feels that I am to young to be a widow.
"Kami let me decide what I want, ‎​you can't choose for me. I don't care, I would rather be your widow than your ex wife." I went down on my knees "pls let me help." I pleaded.
"The shock would be too much for ‎​you to handle if I die in front of ‎​‎​you but if ‎​you leave before then ‎​you would just go back and start your life afresh, nobody would call ‎​you a widow, ‎​you wouldn't have to mourn, and no chidren to disturb your youthful life."Kami persuaded.
"Kami I am pregnant." I sobbed
"Are ‎​you serious or ‎​you are joking" he asked.
Dr musa walked in and said "kami she is very serious that was why I called ‎​you to meet me before your accident."
"Musa is there anything ‎​you want to give me like drugs ‎​you can give me now and when ‎​you are done please take yemisi out of here I want to be alone." Kami said. The both of us left him. I had never felt ‎so rejected in my life. I had no one to call. I thought of calling his sister but I changed my mind. The next day I went to meet kami and told him I was going to sign the divorce papers because I had made up my mind to do things that would please him. He smiled and said "move closer." I moved towards him. He continued
"yemisi what do ‎​you want?"
I replied "I want to do anything that would make ‎​you happy.".
"Kiss me."He ordered. I moved closer and kissed him. I kissed him till he withdrew his mouth. He looked at me and said, "Yemisi I haven't brushed my teeth for the past 2days and ‎​you kissed it to please me didn't ‎​you feel irritated."
"No I didn't feel irritated." I replied and continued "the only feeling that was in me was the fact that I was kissing the man I love. Kami the last time we kissed was the day I left for camp and that's like 2months ago and now ‎​you asked me to kiss ‎​‎​you, something I have been longing to do and ‎​you think I would allow a smelling mouth to stop me." Tears had started forming in my eyes again. Kami smiled again, he lifted his head and asked me to bring out the paper underneath the pillow. I did as he had asked me. I gave him the papers, he rejected it, gave me a pen and said,
"Yemisi that's the divorce document sign it." I looked at the document, who could have brought it to him , I thought. I took the pen and started reading the content of the paper. After reading, I said can I ask ‎​one question?
"Yes go ahead" he replied.
"If I sign this paper it means we are divorced?"
"Yes."
I gave the paper back to him, kami, I won't sign it. I can't.
He collected the paper from me and tore it. He said, "I don't know why God gave ‎​you to me but one thing is for sure if I die tomorrow, I would die a happy man."
Dr Musa and Bimbo came in. They were both smiling. I am sure they heard our conversation.
Kami turned to Dr Musa and said,
"Musa please tell me what my chances are?" I held kami's hand. Dr Musa cleared his throat and said "less than 2months."
"With and without chemotherapy?" I asked.
"No that's without chemotherapy with chemotherapy it might be a bit longer but the end would still be same." He replied.
"What's this chemotherapy" I asked.
"Chemotherapy is designed to kill cancer cells
Chemotherapy works by destroying cancer cells; unfortunately, it cannot tell the difference between a cancer cell and some healthy cells. So chemotherapy eliminates not only the fast-growing cancer cells but also other fast-growing cells in your body, including hair and blood cells.
Chemotherapy may be given with a curative intent or it may aim to prolong life or to palliate symptoms.
If he decides to go for chemotherapy he would be given Palliative chemotherapy this is given without curative intent, but simply to decrease tumor load and increase life expectancy. For these regimens, a better toxicity profile is generally expected.
All chemotherapy regimens require that the patient be capable of undergoing the treatment because of the effects
Low white blood cell count
Low red blood cell count
Low platelet count
Nausea
Vomiting
Hair loss
Fatigue
After going through all this the patient would still die."
Which would it be with or without. (To be contd)

No comments:

Post a Comment